[MPlayer-dev-eng] Cleaning up incoming

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 20 13:45:05 CET 2009

Attila Kinali <attila <at> kinali.ch> writes:

> > Could you explain your requirements?
>
> Currently, incoming is an 11GB mess of files of which noone knows

Sorry, but that does not explain your requirements:
Do you mean incoming should not exceed a certain size? I think this is (and
should be) unavoidable. Or is it only about sorting? That is simple for FFmpeg
issues (roundup numbers), but what about issues on mplayer-users?
About "Are samples still needed?": For example, ffmpeg handles BR/TrueHD+AC3
samples very well, but mplayer still has big problems; otoh, mplayer handles
DVB/AAC well, while ffmpeg fails miserably (these are just the most obvious
examples). So, I'm not sure how easy it is to decide if a sample is still
needed. Deleting also makes regression testing much more difficult.
Many samples are very easy to attach to an issue or a mail (Google, gmane).
Others are worse, but they still might be useful.

> whether they are still needed for an open bugreport, whether
> they belong to a PEBCAK bug and thus could be deleted, whether

The issue could be PEBCAK and the sample might still be interesting.

> they are an important sample and should be retained, etc pp.

> I'm basically unqualified to sort these samples, as i'm out of
> touch with development for years. Hence i've asked many times
> that someone should take a look at those files and sort them
> accordingly. Not much has happend and those who tried, have
> been blocked by others with concerns that can be summed up
> to "i cannot find my files anymore, if you move them"

I think this is a major concern (or possibly the only one).

> > I believe I understand Michael's requirements well, and personally, I think
> > that all links mentioned on roundup (or the mailing lists) should be either
> > kept or corrected on roundup/the mailing list.
>
> That would mean that we would have to modify the mailinglist archives
> and the roundup db. Both are not feasible.

If you were right, this would mean, we should not touch incoming (except for me
asking people to upload 2GB samples...).
But it is obviously trivial to correct file names on roundup (as compn did), and
I think answers to old threads on the mailing list are also possible (at least
gmane shows them nicely).

Could we agree on new rules (proposed by you, agreed by the developers) like "no
sample in incoming stays there longer than two weeks" or "no sample bigger than
10M can stay longer than 10 days" or perhaps "nothing should be deleted without
sending a message to the mailing list" before we start changing anything in
incoming?
I'd like to add that there are samples that correspond to valid issues that just
have not been looked at by a capable developer.

Please let's try to find a solution that everybody agrees with, Carl Eugen