[MPlayer-dev-eng] Cleaning up incoming

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Dec 20 13:38:43 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 13:10 +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:37:10 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > 1) incoming could be on a smaller partition, forcing us to clean up before
> > we have such a huge mess
> > 2) sorting things into samples would actually have a real visible benefit:
> > making space in incoming.
>
> Good idea. I'll do that after the clean up.

I'm against that. Making the partition smaller to intentionally cause
out-of-space problems is just that - intentionally and unnecessarily
causing problems where none existed before.

IMO the right approach is

1) Make incoming as large as possible.
2) If it's still about to fill up then delete the oldest samples based
on age before it's actually full.

The ability to upload new samples is much more important than keeping
unsorted years-old samples. The "threat" when it's about to fill up
should be "if you don't sort samples the old ones will be deleted"
(which can be arranged without much work), not "if you don't sort
samples it'll be impossible to upload new ones" (which is a much worse
problem).