[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Support for 8 channel audio

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 19 17:06:04 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:08:08AM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 15:59 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > The typical configuration is: left front, right front, center, side
> > > left, side right, rear left, rear right.
> > >
> > > See http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/129025.jpg
> >
> > Uh, is that for 8-channel only? Because for up to 6 channel when I
> > tested it the order was:
> > left front, right front, left rear, right rear, center, LFE
>
> I didn't mean to imply my list above represented any specific ordering.
> I thought you were asking about the speaker placements for 8 channel
> audio.
>
> There's no single standard for channel layouts, which is of course what
> makes this a trickier problem to solve. :)
>
> ALSA's layout for 8 channels is L R Ls Rs C LFE Rls Rrs.  The Windows
> (WAVE) layout is L R C LFE Ls Rs Rls Rrs.  I'm not sure how this maps
> onto OpenAL.  But the most common approach is that it's the same as 6
> channels plus Rls Rrs (as channels 7 and 8).

OpenAL as I use it uses separate sound source that I place wherever I
want, so full flexibility (and I have to tear the channels apart into
separate arrays anyway)...
I want to know in which order they are in the data that comes in, which
you should know since you made all those patches to get it always into
that order :-P (yes, I was too lazy to actually fully read and
understand that part of your patches).