[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Support for 8 channel audio

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Wed Aug 19 16:08:08 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 15:59 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > The typical configuration is: left front, right front, center, side
> > left, side right, rear left, rear right.
> >
> > See http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/129025.jpg
>
> Uh, is that for 8-channel only? Because for up to 6 channel when I
> tested it the order was:
> left front, right front, left rear, right rear, center, LFE

I didn't mean to imply my list above represented any specific ordering.
I thought you were asking about the speaker placements for 8 channel
audio.

There's no single standard for channel layouts, which is of course what
makes this a trickier problem to solve. :)

ALSA's layout for 8 channels is L R Ls Rs C LFE Rls Rrs.  The Windows
(WAVE) layout is L R C LFE Ls Rs Rls Rrs.  I'm not sure how this maps
onto OpenAL.  But the most common approach is that it's the same as 6
channels plus Rls Rrs (as channels 7 and 8).

Or have I misunderstood your question?