[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Thu Apr 9 21:55:56 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 22:46 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Are you talking about the digital audio passthrough case where you can't
> easily filter the audio? In the case where the player does the decoding
> dropping whole audio frames sounds definitely suboptimal.

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned I was talking about the passthrough
case.

Now it would be even nicer if it were possible to decode, retime [and
pitch-correct], and reencode the audio stream and still use passthrough.
But one could plausibly argue the use-case doesn't merit the effort.

> Depending on how common the adjustments would need to be disabling
> passthrough might be preferable.

If the display timings are accurate enough, I've found that you
generally only need to drop audio frames after a seek.  But I'm sure
that's going to vary quite a bit based on hardware.

I haven't yet tried the case where audio frames are duplicated to slow
the audio down.  It could be much more noticeable and annoying, in which
case dropping a video frame would be preferable.

Cheers,
Jason.