[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Apr 9 21:46:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 15:24 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 22:03 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > You'd need to add a way to modify the length of the audio stream when
> > it's going out of sync, adding or removing a given amount of samples,
> > without distorting the sound too badly.
>
> I can offer that it is possible to drop DTS and AC3 audio frames without
> _too_ much subjective effect.  I've experimented with this with some
> success.  DTS is marginally better, because the frames are shorter, but
> then it means one must drop more of them to regain sync -- but spreading
> them out evenly to slowly regain sync is less noticeable.
>
> Whether one prefers to drops audio frames or duplicates video frames to
> maintain sync is definitely a judgement call, and is also likely heavily
> dependent on the type of content.

Are you talking about the digital audio passthrough case where you can't
easily filter the audio? In the case where the player does the decoding
dropping whole audio frames sounds definitely suboptimal.

Depending on how common the adjustments would need to be disabling
passthrough might be preferable.