[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Thu Apr 9 21:24:09 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 22:03 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> You'd need to add a way to modify the length of the audio stream when
> it's going out of sync, adding or removing a given amount of samples,
> without distorting the sound too badly.

I can offer that it is possible to drop DTS and AC3 audio frames without
_too_ much subjective effect.  I've experimented with this with some
success.  DTS is marginally better, because the frames are shorter, but
then it means one must drop more of them to regain sync -- but spreading
them out evenly to slowly regain sync is less noticeable.

Whether one prefers to drops audio frames or duplicates video frames to
maintain sync is definitely a judgement call, and is also likely heavily
dependent on the type of content.