[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] towards working shared libav* support, part 2

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Sep 14 12:27:14 CEST 2008

On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 12:06, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:39:47AM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Måns said the inclusion of bswap.h and intreadwrite.h is invalid and should
> > be fixed in MPlayer.
>
> They are not part of the FFmpeg API, but that does not make including
> them "invalid". What is the point of copying it into osdep except
> complicating things? Just delete libavutil and the copy that file again
> into a new libavutil directory.
>
> > If you have a suggestion on how to solve it without
> > duplicating those files in MPlayer, I'm all ears.
>
> Instead of rm -rf libav* create a script that deletes all files except
> these? Not that I see that particularly as our problem, building against
> an installed libav* is one thing, that should preferably supported, but
> "user randomly deletes files and expects it to compile" is not our
> issue.

Well, if you have files from libav* in MPlayer tree, then when building
against external libav*, the compiler will try to use the local headers
even if they are not in public API. A mismatch between them and the ones
from external version could lead to inexplicable problems later. That's
why I'm trying to have MPlayer build with ONLY public API headers present.
IMHO MPlayer should only use public libav* API or libav* should be modified
to export more stuff to public API. Either way, current situation is not
healthy. If we're going to let people build MPlayer against external shared
libav*, we'd better do it right.

Regards,
R.

--