[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass behavior when PlayResX & PlayResY are missing in ass subs

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:09:44 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 19:23:48 Robert Ramiega wrote:
>   Hi!
>
>  Lately i've been playing with ass subtitles and i've noticed that when
> subtitle file doesn't specify PlayResX *and* PlayResY libass hardcodes them
> to 384x288.
>  What's the reasoning with this?

Because that's what Vobsub does. And there are scripts out there that don't
set either PlayResX or PlayResY, and expect the logical screen size to be
384x288.

> I think this is a bit against SSA/ASS specs I've found on the net:
>
> PlayResY: This is the height of the screen used by the script's author(s)
> when playing the script. SSA v4 will automatically select the nearest
> enabled setting, if you are using Directdraw playback.
>
> PlayResX: This is the width of the screen used by the script's author(s)
> when playing the script. SSA will automatically select the nearest enabled,
> setting if you are using Directdraw playback.

I think it does not say anything about the case when PlayResX and PlayResY are
unspecified. The word 'nearest' is probably related to the existing value of
PlayResX(Y).