[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass behavior when PlayResX & PlayResY are missing in ass subs

Robert Ramiega jedi at plukwa.net
Tue Oct 21 17:23:48 CEST 2008

  Hi!

 Lately i've been playing with ass subtitles and i've noticed that when
subtitle file doesn't specify PlayResX *and* PlayResY libass hardcodes them
to 384x288.
 What's the reasoning with this?

I think this is a bit against SSA/ASS specs I've found on the net:

PlayResY: This is the height of the screen used by the script's author(s)
when playing the script. SSA v4 will automatically select the nearest
enabled setting, if you are using Directdraw playback.

PlayResX: This is the width of the screen used by the script's author(s)
when playing the script. SSA will automatically select the nearest enabled,
setting if you are using Directdraw playback.

Locally I've modified ass_render.c so that if both values are missing in the
sub file they are set to orig_width, orig_height (this seems to be at least
a bit consistent with situation when either PlayResX or PlayResY is given --
see ass_lazy_track_init() around line 210 of ass_render.c ).

--
Just a friendly Jedi Knight     | I find your lack of faith
Robert Ramiega jedi at plukwa.net  | disturbing