[MPlayer-dev-eng] Update to vo_direct3d - saves ~2% CPU time

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Nov 20 20:27:23 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 07:07:50PM +0000, Jim Hauxwell wrote:
> I've made some updates to vo_direct3d.c which reduce the amount of data
> locked, now only locks the portion needed for update which should save
> DMA bandwidth.

This should be compared to locking all of it for the first slice and
unlocking only directly before the StretchRect (or before the BeginScene
if combined with your other change).
I am not sure that the LockRect/UnlockRect are low enough overhead that
you actually gain something by having more than one DMA transfer.

> I've optimized away some begin_scene and end_scene
> combos as they are only needed for actual rendering, not the locking.

That should be a separate patch.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger