[MPlayer-dev-eng] Direct 3D Windows VO

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:20:34 CET 2008

Hi, that someone is me :)

Actually last month I resumed my work on the driver and it's almost
ready. I had plans to start a new thread very soon (a couple of days)
about it.

Right now this works:

* Support for YV12/YUY2 (planar/packed) colorspaces.
* Windowed mode
* Fullscreen
* Quality bilinear resize (both resized windowed mode and fullscreen)

This is not ready:
* RGB colorspaces
* Subtitles
* Video equalization (brightness, contrast, hue, etc).
* A couple of other things

I just want to write subtitles support and test the driver as good as
I can before releasing it, so we have something good from the
beginning.

The performance is quite nice as it should be - everything is HW
accelerated. Direct3D fully supports creating PlainOffscreen surfaces
(where I render each frame) in both YV12/YUY2  formats and handles
colorspace conversion when copying this offscreen surface to the
screen backbuffer. It's nice and fast. Vsync also seems to work very
nice, so no tearing.

Also - the problem I have with my second display (TV) with opengl is
not present. The problem was jerky video. When I drag the movie window
on the TV, it was playing like 15fps. With Direct 3D it's as smooth as
on the monitor. Picture "routing" through remote desktop works as
well, which definitely doesn't work with DirectDraw. Also playing more
than one video DOESN'T work when using DirectDraw (-vo directx). The
second video remains black. You can try it right now.

Just wait a couple of days to clean my code and to implement some
additional checks and stuff and I'll release the first version of the
driver :)

Btw I seem to have problem with subtitles, but I'm not quite there yet :)