[MPlayer-dev-eng] mms stream seeking

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Thu May 22 00:59:21 CEST 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:49:22 +0800, "Madhusudana Ramakrishna" <madhusud at earningscast.com> wrote:
>to start from a specific spot I guess. But I am not sure whether somebody
>has come across the published protocol by Microsoft -
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc234711.aspx - which does seem to
>detail all the command messages and parameters. How would one go about
>implementing the mms seeking function within mplayer based on this document?

learn to program
read mms spec from microsoft and look at other media players with mms seeking support (xine or vlc?)
get mplayer source
cleanup or rewrite stream/asf_mmst_streaming.c
add support for mms seeking
send patch to mplayer-dev-eng mailing list

or offer money, donations, etc for mms seeking support in mplayer.
you might also have luck asking some other projects that use mplayer like xbmc: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=173929

of course, microsoft has killed off mms in favor of rtsp
so it would be nice for someone to port rtsp://wmv support to mplayer from videolan.

it may be wise to drop mplayer stream code, and work on ffmpeg. then get mplayer to use ffmpeg's network code. so both projects dont have to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

-compn