[MPlayer-dev-eng] mms stream seeking

Madhusudana Ramakrishna madhusud at earningscast.com
Wed May 21 19:49:22 CEST 2008

Mplayer currently does not handle seeking within an mms stream. A sample asx
file like below would result in the whole stream being played rather than
starting from the specific point irregardless of -ss or -endpos directives.

<ASX version = "3.0">

<Entry>

<StartTime Value = "00:33:25.00" />

 <Duration Value = "00:09:58.28" />

  <Ref href =

"mms://test.com/test.asf"

 />

</Entry>

</ASX>

I assume the reason for this has been the opaque nature of the MMS protocol
itself since the client needs to send some specific commands to the server
to start from a specific spot I guess. But I am not sure whether somebody
has come across the published protocol by Microsoft -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc234711.aspx - which does seem to
detail all the command messages and parameters. How would one go about
implementing the mms seeking function within mplayer based on this document?

Regds

Madhu