[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proposed support for Kate streams

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:35:23 CET 2008

> > Does this mean that the main design goal is these subtitles to be
> > almost unusable without ogg?

Not at all. It does currently depend on libogg, but only for the bitpacker,
which I'm considering taking internal to remove that last dependency
(though xiph's considering splitting the bitpacker from libogg at some
point).
It used to be more dependent on ogg, but that's been abstracted away
since.

> I think the design not so much, the implementation in MPlayer is more of
> a problem though, since the "decoding" is done in the demuxers (support
> for ogg and mkv is added), instead of in mp_common.h.
> Probably because demux_ogg still uses the old and broken way of setting
> subtitles (modifying vo_sub directly instead of creating a proper
> subtitle stream).

I just read what the code was doing and adapted, not knowing this was not
the right way to do it. I'll have a look at mp_common. I must say the patch
to MPlayer was the ugliest of the list, that may explain things :)

Thanks