[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proposed support for Kate streams

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 18 09:50:58 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:52:09AM +0300, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> I think it won't hurt to apply the ogg demuxer part of the patch. Won't make
> it any worse, it is an unmaintainable mess already.

And I forgot: This misses my main point: Not supporting this format
means more incentive for someone to specify and add ASS support for Ogg,
which IMO would be much, much preferable over yet another subtitle
format - esp. when it is a format that will require a highly complex
renderer I do not see having two formats as desirable, not even
remotely. ASS seems to be quite universally supported already, with IIRC
VLC already implementing the "next" version of it.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger