[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jun 20 13:37:56 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 06:27:43AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Bryan Henderson wrote:
>
> > Seems like it should be possible to program the backtab key to simply
> > move back to the previous tab stop, and it would be more natural
> > than hitting backspace.
>
> I've never heard of a backtab key, and if there is one on my current
> keyboard it certainly isn't labeled that way.
>
> > Likewise, I'd expect a mode where TAB simply moves the cursor,
> > inserting spaces (or even a tab) only if necessary to get over there.
> > That would come in handy editing lots of things.
>
> This would still require the user to switch back and forth between the
> tab key and whatever other keys in order to switch between moving
> through leading whitespace and moving through actual text.
>
> I am not saying that there is a satisfactory solution to this. I am
> simply saying that this may be one case where there are trade-offs to
> using tabs vs. using spaces, and different people may find different
> combinations of those trade-offs acceptable.

If you are so in love with tabs ;)
why not just convert the whole mplayer source to use tabs locally and
add a little wraper around git/svn that converts them back to spaces before
running any git/svn command. I mean that way git/svn will always see
spaces and your editor tabs. It might need 2 directory trees though.

No iam not giving up. Differences in editor behavior between tabs and
spaces are bugs and could be fixed ...

[...]

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact