[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 12:27:43 CEST 2008

Bryan Henderson wrote:

> Seems like it should be possible to program the backtab key to simply
> move back to the previous tab stop, and it would be more natural
> than hitting backspace.

I've never heard of a backtab key, and if there is one on my current
keyboard it certainly isn't labeled that way.

> Likewise, I'd expect a mode where TAB simply moves the cursor,
> inserting spaces (or even a tab) only if necessary to get over there.
> That would come in handy editing lots of things.

This would still require the user to switch back and forth between the
tab key and whatever other keys in order to switch between moving
through leading whitespace and moving through actual text.

I am not saying that there is a satisfactory solution to this. I am
simply saying that this may be one case where there are trade-offs to
using tabs vs. using spaces, and different people may find different
combinations of those trade-offs acceptable.

> While I use a pretty primitive editing environment myself (Emacs,
> terminal mode, black and white), I haven't worried about leading
> white space in a long time.  Whatever mode it is I set up years ago
> knows where the lines go and just puts them there (sometimes I have
> to hit the TAB key once).

I've used emacs some, but have not quite been able to get it to behave
satisfactorily in various respects, syntax highlighting being the
primary one I remember offhand. The closest thing to a satisfactory
editor I've used to date is jed, and that has a number of downsides.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.