[MPlayer-dev-eng] speed of link strategies (was: Re: [RFC] Makefile copyrights)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 19 13:46:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:29:34AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 07:52:56PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > You are wrong.  I ran benchmarks for the very case you are describing.
> >
> > You did not run benchmarks for the actual link commands, ccache disabled,
> > 1 file changed and a fluhed cache.
> > You run benchmarks on current (+hack) vs. old make. When the hack was removed
> > old was already faster ...
>
> Old was slightly faster because it did less things.
>
> Here are benchmarks for the final link commands and the subdirectory
> link commands.  The first number is the "stabilized" number I get after
> rerunning the command multiple times, the second value was obtained
> after running some long grep command through my sources directory to
> flush the disk cache.
>
> HEAD:
> mplayer      [...]   13.8s
> mencoder     [...]   10.4s
>
> r26339:
> mplayer      [...]    5.2s
> mencoder     [...]    6.1s

Thank you for the benchmarks, these numbers are more belivable.

[...]

> Given that there are a total of 25 subdirectories to link, total link
> times should have diminished with the new system when running a complete
> build from a cold cache.

I dont really care if a full build takes 36m41s or 36m25s. I do care if
each rebuild after testing takes 13.8s instead of 5.2s

[...]
> The conclusion seems to be clear: Total link times have been reduced by
> the flat build system.  Rebuild link times are within 1s of the old
> system on a very outdated machine.

very outdated machine with RAID array ...
besides you are forgetting the most important values in your benchmark above

> Adding complexity to the build
> system to make up for that 1s is not worth any trouble.

Maybe not, but making up for that 50% speedloss might be. But then goals
change, features and performance may not be amongth them anymore.

[...]

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates