[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Makefile copyrights

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Wed Jun 18 22:07:18 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> I was speaking about the case with a changed file and not everything in the
> cache. Collecting many small .o files takes longer than few big .a.

Depends if takes more rebuilding the archive and then link the larger
archives or just pick the unarchived objects, I think would be quite
easy to check.

> It may very well be that the old build system did other time consuming things.
> I was only considering the current build system with per libmp* .a vs the
> single big linking at the end.

adding a target to get back the .a and benchmark could be useful.

> My problem is that having to comment out lines in a file for normal everyday
> work is a very hackish solution.

Would you like better having a configure option to disable deps tracking?

> make mplayer_nodep or any other command line based solution would be alot
> cleaner

that would be even better.

> Developers very well might want to occasionally run a make with full
> dependencies when they run into a weird bug which they dont know
> what causes it ...
> Having to edit the files to switch the dependencies back on IS hackish.

Agreed ^^

lu

--

Luca Barbato