[MPlayer-dev-eng] Commit rules and coexistence rules

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jun 5 16:35:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 02:29:36PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:45:17AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:45:40AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > >
> > > just my personal oppinion as a mostly inactive mplayer developer
> >
> > And this seems to be the main problem really.
> >
> > All the devs that voted to remove Uoti are inactive[1], all the ones
> > that spoke up against this are active.
>
> All of the ones that voted to remove Uoti are experienced with a long
> history of successfull and peacefull work in a team ...

Ivan does clearly not have that record.

> All the ones against are inexperienced AND have been lucky to have not
> had their own new code "reindented" by uoti without asking. Eventually
> their ways will cross uotis as well ...

I disagree, none of the ones against is inexperienced.

> > IMNSHO the active developers should be the ones running the show.
>
> The project is "run" by our docs maintainer who is not a developer at all.
> If you suggest to step back and let reimar & evgeny & ben & luca take over
> root i would support this.
> But that wont happen, you will never step back and let the people who
> actally write the code have the reins. You just use devel activity as
> argument when it serves your goals ...

False.  I am the one who wants to have the people who actually write the
code have the reins, not you.

Now you say that I am not a developer, because it serves your goals of
discrediting me.  Even if it were true, it would not have any bearing
on this discussion.

May I kindly remind you of the following words from Reimar, which you
conveniently choose to ignore because it serves your interest of
painting me into the evil overlord corner:

  Before anyone flames too hard: I asked for Diego to publish these
  numbers.

How come you are allowed to call me "not a developer" to discredit me,
but I am not allowed to publish commit statistics (at Reimar's request)?

> > Advice from the elder veterans is of course welcome, but at some point
> > they have to realize that the times are changing and hand over the reins
> > to the next generation.
>
> You are basically saying that you prefer to loose >50% of the developers who
> never caused problems than 1 developer who constantly does. Becuase he
> happens to be more active.

Your >50% number is taken out of thin air and I am saying nothing of
what you suggest.

I prefer for everybody to realize that they are getting worked up over
nothing and don't create problems where none exist.  I would also prefer
for people to not insist on rules just for the rules' sake.  Rules that
everybody bends when they see fit anyway, not lastly you.

Michael, please realize that continuing this into eternity will not lead
anywhere.  Let us quit the flaming, we are not doing anybody a favor and
we are both getting carried away.  I have no interest in continuing to
fight with you.  The only direction we can go from here is down.

Diego