[MPlayer-dev-eng] Commit rules and coexistence rules

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Jun 5 10:14:55 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Either the rules are changed to allow such behavior or uoti will keep
> breaking them unless of course he doesnt commit anything anymore.

I hope to have them clarified by putting first why we are doing
something and then the rules that must be followed in order to obtain a
certain result (e.g. no mix of cosmetics and functionality or different
changes in a single patch in general because we want to bisect easily
and to understand quickly what's going on with that commit)

> My vote is still to remove uoti instead of changing the rules. Of course
> i have no problem with clarifying them but any change that would make
> the controversal commits ok are not something i would support.

I'd rather like to have Uoti understand why certain rules are there and
maybe relax some if he show us wrong or overstrict.

Certainly having small comments for an huge commit doesn't fit at all,
having a small commit of few lines with a lengthy description and maybe
one of those 3 lines counts as cosmetic won't make me scream (bisect
will work well nevertheless)

Uoti obviously you should tell me what you think. Trying to be
reasonable works only if the other party is open to discussion as well.

lu - I still think moving to git would make us happier.

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member