[MPlayer-dev-eng] The new Makefiles

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jun 2 17:18:49 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 07:11:48PM +0200, Alban Bedel wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:19:25 +0200
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:39:26PM +0200, Alban Bedel wrote:

> > > I sent you a patch showing you what is needed to link them, then
> > > warned you from the start that the file list _MUST_ be kept
> > > slitted. You just ignored everything.
> >
> > No, I just disagreed that
> >
> > a) splitting the lists is necessary;
>
> OK, now I'm burning to find out how in hell you will manage to not
> split the list while not duplicating half of it.

Attached is a hackish patch that makes vivodump link.  A big problem is
the massive code duplication between mplayer.c and mencoder.c.  Better
suggestions are welcome.

> > b) that if a) were true, it would be worth holding back my work on the
> >    non-recursive Makefile to fix the linkage of a few obscure tools.
>
> I never meant that! The only thing I insisted upon was to have:
>
> LIBA_SRC = foo.c bar.c
> LIBB_SRC = some.c
>
> MPLAYER_SRC = $(LIBA_SRC) $(LIBB_SRC) another.c
>
> Instead of one gigantic list. How that could in any way stop you from
> converting the Makefile to non-recursive, I just don't know.

If this turns out to be necessary, it can still be done without being
much extra work.

> > > However you have all the information needed in the patch I sent you.
> > > Apply the hunks on netstream.c and vivodump.c and all you need to
> > > do is fix the makefile.
> >
> > I'll look at your patch if I find the time.
>
> If that mean you never even looked at it I'm really disappointed.

I did read your patch when you sent it to me.  However, I do not
remember every single detail and it does not apply anymore.  By "I'll
look at your patch" I just meant to say that I will investigate how it
can be used to fix our linking problems, not that I wanted to look at
it for the first time.

Diego