[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Feb 19 00:22:23 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 00:05 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Yes, that fixes it, but it still seems to me like something between
> stupid and wrong behaviour of the X code.
> Of course without XSync there might be rather a lot of outstanding
> request after some time, but (I paid attention this time) "hanging" for
> whole 3s every 6s is a bit exaggerated (or they have to change the XSync
> man page from "Client applications seldom need to call XSync" to "Client
> applications must regulary call XSync".

The pauses are not necessarily determined by the X code. It's possible
that as both MPlayer and the X server start using all available CPU time
rather than waking up on events the kernel starts scheduling them in
"throughput mode" and gives them longer timeslices. You could test
giving the X server a higher priority.

Even if it does make the behavior more visually pleasing in this case
adding an XSync in that location is IMO a bad idea (as I already
mentioned in the previous mail). It can make MPlayer pointlessly wait
and waste available CPU time while the X server completes the queued
requests (perhaps running on another core or waiting for graphics
hardware).