[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio visualization

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Sun Feb 17 20:30:45 CET 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:51:34 +0100
Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:

> Alban Bedel a écrit :
> > On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:18:12 +0100
> > Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I can overcome my personal opinions if necessary, but my
> >> honest and personal opinion is that it is a (if done right only
> >> small) mess for a useless feature ;-)
> >> Keep in mind that it is "MPlayer - The Movie Player" :-)
> >
> > Still it can also play "audio only" files, so here is my take on
> > it :) As said earlier it is some old code, I just updated it to
> > work with the changes to the decode_audio() interface. There is no
> > doc nor configure support, but that's not the point atm as it is
> > unfinished. To test it you need goom (goom.sf.net) and to add
> > -lgoom2 your LDFLAGS.
> >
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome, the original idea was to then
> > replace vd_goom with a vd_visuals wich would take care of converting
> > the raw pcm data to what the selected visual need as input.
>
> What's the status of this finally ?
> Is it planned to get in someday ?

Good question. I think the solution I implemented could be accepted as
it's not very obstrusive. But as no one commented it is hard to tell.

I can bring the patch to a commitable version. But as it is a somewhat
controversial feature, I would prefer having confirmation that it might
be accepted before investing more time in it.

> I've tested it successfully and it's for sure quite an interesting
> future. However, it might be a good thing to import libgoom to
> MPlayer then, especially there's not much releases of it and a few
> distros have it (besides a bug exist in upstream release, latest one
> being from 2005 ..., that tries to do 3DNow code unconditionnally).

We could do that, but honestly I haven't put much thought into such
things yet. First, let's see if the code needing goom is accepted.

	Albeu