[MPlayer-dev-eng] Direct3D OSD discussion

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Dec 10 10:35:55 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 06:37:02PM +0000, Jim Hauxwell wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Well, I obviously prefer by solution :-P
> > Reasons:
> > 0) OSD always has the right aspect
> > 1) the scaling is the same in x- and y-direction, looking less weird
> > 2) the scale factor is always a power of two, giving less "weird"
> >    aliasing, IMO also better readable for letters.
> >
> > This is obviously a very, very minor issue though with no clear
> > "winner".
>
> I agree with all but point (2?) as the scaling is determined via the
> size of the display window.  The scaling by this virtue is always non
> deterministic.

Well, no the OSD is rendered at the same size as the display window, so
the OSD does not get scaled - unless the maximum texture size is too
small.
The way you did it, the display size could be just a few percent larger
than the size the OSD is rendered at, which leads to that sinus-like
aliasing patter of sharp and washed-out parts.
Which is why I always made the OSD a power of two smaller than the
display size.
I guess that's mostly a matter of taste, still I applied my variant
simply because I had the resizing fixed and a few whitespace fixes
already in it, it can still be changed later on.