[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI status

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Apr 5 19:35:35 CEST 2008

The GUI won't compile after the libvo changes I posted, and I plan to
make several more changes that break assumptions the GUI code currently
relies on (especially removing globals that the GUI currently accesses).
I'm not willing to maintain the GUI myself to keep it working.

Is someone else willing to maintain the GUI even if it requires
nontrivial changes? If it is basically maintained but not always kept up
to date with incompatible changes elsewhere how to deal with that? Do we
want to have "last version known to support internal GUI" available to
users?

One possibility would be to move the GUI code to a separate repository
with a dependency on an explicit version of the main MPlayer repository.
Then the main repository could be developed independently of the GUI,
and the GUI dependency could be updated to a newer version once it has
been checked to work with that. Of course this does require that there
is a somewhat active GUI maintainer that at least makes sure security
fixes appear in the GUI version too etc.