[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI status

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Sun Apr 6 20:13:32 CEST 2008

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:35:35 +0300
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> The GUI won't compile after the libvo changes I posted, and I plan to
> make several more changes that break assumptions the GUI code
> currently relies on (especially removing globals that the GUI
> currently accesses). I'm not willing to maintain the GUI myself to
> keep it working.

That would be really great to get rid of all the hacks that are there
just for the GUI. But ...

> Is someone else willing to maintain the GUI even if it requires
> nontrivial changes?

Nobody is AFAIK.

> If it is basically maintained but not always kept
> up to date with incompatible changes elsewhere how to deal with that?

You don't do changes that break the GUI if you are not willing to fix
the GUI side. That's as simple as that.

> Do we want to have "last version known to support internal GUI"
> available to users?

In other words forking the GUI and leaving it behind. I expect the wide
majority of users would be delighted by such a move.

> One possibility would be to move the GUI code to a separate repository
> with a dependency on an explicit version of the main MPlayer
> repository. Then the main repository could be developed independently
> of the GUI, and the GUI dependency could be updated to a newer
> version once it has been checked to work with that. Of course this
> does require that there is a somewhat active GUI maintainer that at
> least makes sure security fixes appear in the GUI version too etc.

I doubt that this would achieve anything when the root of the problem is
a lack of maintainer.

	Albeu