[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer compilation with cygwin

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 30 22:56:53 CEST 2007

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 10:08:09PM +0300, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> > > it's now the first time i actually succeed to compile mplayer on MinGW,
> > > but now its . . . 10 MB :'(
> > > ( ./configure --enable-static)
> > >
> > > the dll thingy is now ok with mingw, only the size problem was left
> > >
> > > thanks for reply..
> > >   Roee.
> >
> > standard mplayer builds are always ~10mb
> >
> > I doubt you can find a 3mb mplayer binary around
>
> Maybe it should be possible to get 3mb binary after stripping it and
> compressing with upx. But is there any strong need for it?

My mplayer binary is 8 megs static-linked, and I suspect you could get
it down a LOT just by removing unwanted codecs from libavcodec. My
libavcodec.a is over 4 megs alone.. and I suspect all of the encoding
code is getting linked in to the binary as well since it's not fully
factored from the decoder files. If you build with --disable-mencoder
(and maybe also --disable all the lavc encoders..?) the mplayer binary
might also get a lot smaller.

Also, disable unwanted vo & ao modules, etc..

Rich