[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Mon Sep 24 20:40:07 CEST 2007

Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> On 14 September 2007, Roberto Togni wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:32:24 -0400
> >
> > Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > > In addition to the particular fixes Diego reported, doing extensive
> > > testing for regressions when switching to lavf demuxer would be very
> > > helpful! This task does not require coding or demuxer logic knowledge.
> > > You just need to see what features are lacking or buggy and report
> > > them to ffmpeg developers.
> >
> > The right solution is adding AVParser support to MPlayer for lavc codec
> > that requires it (taking care not to break codec implementations that
> > does not need it, but that should not be too hard).
>
> What is AVParser? Is there any documentation about it or is there some
> other implementation that could be used as an example?

libavcodec/*parser.c

> Regarding some "down to earth" and practical solution for '-ac ffmp3'
> support problem, wouldn't it be easier to drop avi support from
> libmpdemux and use lavf instead of it, but keep libmpdemux code for
> matroska, ogg and other container formats that are causing problems at
> the moment? In this case I would need to reorder some entries
> in 'demuxer_list' from 'demuxer.c'. Is that right?

The right way to do it is to add avi to:
libmpdemux/demux_lavf.c:preferred_list[]

But as Compn already said, there is no chance for this to be accepted
just before a release.
But if you think lavf avi demuxer is good enough, then you should push
for this change just after the release.

> Are there any known regressions related to using lavf for avi files in
> mplayer?

Not that I know of, but testing lavf with as much avi files as possible
would sure be helpful.

Aurel