[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Sep 19 16:40:45 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:39:06PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 07:57:22PM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > I wonder why are we trying to maintain a badly outdated debian directory ?
> > The official debian package has a much better and up-to-date one.
> > IMO, we should simply rm the whole debian directory. If some people insist
> > on having it in our repository, then we should at least re-base it
> > on latest official one :
> > http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mplayer/mplayer_1.0~rc1-16.diff.gz
>
> As a line of principle, I agree  :-)
> [For the record : I take care of that Debian package.]
>
> On the up side, by using that, you also have template translations in
> many languages "for free".
>
> One complaint Diego had in the past w.r.t my debian/ is the debconf
> question about RTC ; but I recently decided that I will remove it.

Excellent :-)))

Now if you could take care of the vo driver debconf question as well,
that would be truly perfect ;-p

> Beware though that my debian/ dir will not work "out of the box" with
> the original mplayer.
>
> Let me be more precise.
>
> My debian/rules can be used to produce many different packages. One
> example is re: build options and optimization. Indeed
> $ fakeroot debian/rules binary
> will generate a standard mplayer package for the current architecture;
> a sort of "common denominator" that (hopefully) should please
> all standard Debian users (and hosts :-).
>
> For example, I recently had to address a problem
> with alpha architectures, so I had to add a small patch to configure:
> see debian bug 431139 .
>
> If instead a enduser calls
> $ fakeroot debian/rules DEB_BUILD_CONFIGURE="" binary
> then teh configure options are autodetected during compilation; thus
> users can get a better performance if they rebuild this package
> themselves.
>
> Another issue is wrt docs : the official releases, such as
> rc1 , ship the HTML docs ; whereas SVN does not ; so my
> debian/rules tries to adapt.

A documentation build target for debian/rules is welcome.

> If you wish, I will send you some emails explaing some of the patches,
> that I prepared, so we may discuss their inclusion into mainstream
> mplayer.  (Actually, I did want to send those emails before rc2 , so
> now is really the time).

Actually, the perfect moment is to propose the patches on
mplayer-dev-eng right away, maybe even before you add them to your
package ;-)

But yes, please show us all of your patches, we shall try to get all
issues resolved for the release.

> Eventually we may so include my debian/ dir in the next rc2.

I've tried to talk you into merging the different debian/ dir
implementations numerous times, I would surely welcome if we could do it
now.

Diego