[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder: libass support (patch)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Sep 19 00:21:14 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:44:05AM +0300, Joel Yliluoma wrote:
> The patch attached below adds support for libass subtitle rendering
> in MEncoder. It is based on the code from MPlayer.

If the code is very similar to the MPlayer one, please try putting it in
an extra function in mpcommon.c.

> + Disabled the "expand" filter if -ass option is used;
>    the expand filter conflicts with libass OSD.

In which way? That seems like a bug to me and would be better fixed
properly (at least it should be attempted).

> + Changed the subtitle loading code so that it uses the
>    add_subtitles() function (which was copied from MPlayer)

At least that add_subtitles function looks like you could just move it
into mpcommon.c instead of copying it.

> + Passes sh_video->pts as the "pts" value to filter_video
>    instead of passing MP_NOPTS_VALUE. This fixes the problem
>    that prevents subtitles from being seen at all.

That is the part that could cause severe issues in the past I think.
Maybe enable it only with -ass? Or depending on -correct-pts?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger