[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Sep 16 04:16:00 CEST 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:18:10 +0200
Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> > I agree, but the old mga_vid detection code which got
> > removed by Diego and Ivan should be put back before that.
>
> Why?  Checking for the existence of device files is fundamentally
> broken.  IMO the hardware-specific vo drivers should be enabled by
> default, MPlayer will fall back on the more general but slower ones

I agree with Ivan that only a few people have Matrox graphic
cards, so it does not make sense to enable them by default.
They should rather be autodetected. Either by using lspci
output, trying to find /dev/mga_vid* or any combination thereof.

But currently the drivers are _disabled_ by default, which
is definitly a regression.

Yes, i could have fixed it myself, but i was too busy the
last months to do anything OSS related and currently i'm
a few thousand kilometers away from my desktop, so cannot
do it either.

			Attila Kinali

--
It is the unknown we fear when we look