[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:13:58 CEST 2007

On 14 September 2007, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:48:21 +0300
>
> Siarhei Siamashka <siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Currently '-ac ffmp3' chokes on some video files, this one can be used
> > as  an example, it plays fine with ffplay but has problems with
> > mplayer:
> > ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/benchmark/testsuite2/Coyote.Ugl
> >y.Sample-highbitrate-atmos.avi
>
> Several of the ff* codecs require you to use -demuxer lavf as well.
> I'd really like to see libmpdemux depreciated, asap.  ffmp3 handles that
> video just fine.

Thanks a lot, did not know that. What should be done to get libmpdemux
deprecated sooner?

> > Also '-ac mad' has problems with audio/video sync on variable bitrate
> > mp3 audio. I have uploaded a sample 'libmad_out_of_sync.avi' to
> > ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming
>
> Pretty hard to tell if it's in-sync or not with that sample.

Actually it is pretty simple to tell, the song should be in sync with
the subtitles that are shown at top. If you try to play it with '-ac mad'
and compare the results to '-ac mp3' or '-ac ffmp3', you will see the
difference. Audio/video shift is very noticeable, also you can increase
buffer size in 'preinit' function from 'ad_libmad.c' to make the problem
more obvious.

To fix this issue, 'ad_libmad.c' should start using 'ds_get_packet_pts'.
Or probably libmad should be deprecated too?