[MPlayer-dev-eng] Updated nailfps filter patches

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Nov 12 10:00:54 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:54:57AM -0500, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
> > > +discontinuities, seeks, and file transitions (when used with \-fixed-vo).
> >
> > You need to escape all dashes, not just the first one.  All unescaped
> > dashes get interpreted as hyphens.
>
> I misunderstood what exactly you meant my 'hyphen'.

In roff source, "-" is a hyphen and "\-" is a minus sign/dash. The
latter is needed for command line options; otherwise, copy-and-paste
will result in a Unicode hyphen character which will NOT have the
right semantics on the command line.

> > > +Also note that various other options (eg, \-mc or \-correct-pts) that
> >
> > e.g.\&
>
> thanks.

There's also a hyphen issue here.

> > > +Valid range is 0. through 2., default is .1.
> >
> > This is unclear.  Is the range 0.0 - 2.0 with a default of 0.1?  Then
> > say so.
>
> ....I did.  Oh you mean stick extra aeroes on things... OK.

Either write 0.0 or just 0, and 2.0 or just 2. 0. is very ambiguous in
an English sentence and looks like end-of-sentence. It's valid in code
but not in English, IMO..

.1 is less bad since it's not ambiguous, but 0.1 is a lot more
readable, especially if formatting the output for postscript or html
where there may be a variable-width font and the . might not be
noticed by itself (but the space it provides will be noticed with
0.1)..

Rich