[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Zsolt Barat zsolt at bbm.de
Sat May 5 19:06:03 CEST 2007

Rich Felker schrieb:
>>> s/nice clean/ and you're right. But the whole problem is that the OS
>>> interface should NOT be a multimedia lib. Leave stuff like that to SDL
>>> and don't force people who don't want that crap to use it. I'm so sick
>>> of windows idiots coming over to linux and imposing the "everything is
>>> a library" philosophy. GO BACK TO WINDOWS AND LEAVE US THE @#*$ ALONE!
>>>
>> so at the end if you see your battle lost you are trying to insult
>> people. i don't know whom you are reffering to in this outbreak, if you
>> mean me i just can dissapoint you in this regard. i never advocated an
>> "everything is a library" approach and don't know about a special
>> windows-philosophy.
>
> Well you just called it "nice" and "clean". IMO that qualifies as
> advocating it...
ok, with blindly insulting people like an aggresive dog you know that
you allready lost this case. you just want to show it publicly.
no, this is not the style i'm used to discuss things. please do it with
your yankee boys, if it happens that you sometimes really speak to real
persons not just to your pentiumII.

and who the hell do you believe gives *you* the power to tell others to
leave the mplayer project. are you grown to something like a
minidictator of the mplayer-project?

>> http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?cat=2
>> quoting hannu, the masterbrain of oss:
>> "This is the good news. The bad news is that there is no MIDI support in
>> OSS 4.0. There are few bugs in the MIDI code and we decided to ship OSS
>> 4.0 without it (instead of delaying release of the other parts that were
>> ready). MIDI support will be included in OSS 4.1 (hopefully within this
>> year)."
>
> For the Nth time now, PLEASE stop confusing OSS (the API) with
> 4front's driver implementations. These are two separate things
> entirely and the blog you quote is about 4front's implementation. What
> you're doing is equivalent to complaining the X sucks because XFree86
> or X.org is a bad implementation.
c'mon, at last ressort you became nitpicking.
no i don't take part in this game. just tell me how in the devils name
you want to use your beloved OSS-"API" without drivers? Ah, i remember
there is something called OSS-emulation provided by ALSA. your
argumentation becomes utterly crazy.

and so much said to this API/device driver game. you use it like it fits
your argumentation. you use (abuse) pseudo technical arguments to feed
your ideological and political point of view. you just showed your true
face when someone recognized your crude argumentation. you simply don't
like alsa. you have no real explanation why. you just somehow feel , it
is evil. maybe it smells not usual like oss. that said in the beginnig
would have saved us many electrons.

best

zsolt