[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:26:39 CEST 2007

2007/5/4, Zsolt Barat <zsolt at bbm.de>:
> Rich Felker schrieb:
> >> do you really think SCO-UNIX(UnixWare) will rule the world? in company
> >> with OSS?
> >
> > You're living in the early 90's. UNIX is a trademark of the Open Group
> > and used to significy systems which are certified to conform to the
> > Single Unix Specification. Or, more practically, it refers either to
> so, you are a fan of AIX on the desktop right ;).
> SUS compilant UNIX systems: AIX, HP/UX, SCO, Solaris, True64UNIX
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification
>
> > s/nice clean/ and you're right. But the whole problem is that the OS
> > interface should NOT be a multimedia lib. Leave stuff like that to SDL
> > and don't force people who don't want that crap to use it. I'm so sick
> > of windows idiots coming over to linux and imposing the "everything is
> > a library" philosophy. GO BACK TO WINDOWS AND LEAVE US THE @#*$ ALONE!
> >
> so at the end if you see your battle lost you are trying to insult
> people. i don't know whom you are reffering to in this outbreak, if you
> mean me i just can dissapoint you in this regard. i never advocated an
> "everything is a library" approach and don't know about a special
> windows-philosophy. i don't use ms-products for ages and started hacking
> on hp/ux-terminals with gnu-tools. so you would have to say to me: "go
> back to hp/ux with gnu-tools", but i think thats more your world.
> without gnu-tools of course.
> maybe you mean the alsa-maintainers, but i doubt that they are microsoft
> undercover agents.
>
> > Said more politely, "when in Rome, do as the Romans".
> racist romans.
>

> >> OSS was never a standard, some unix-like systems just
> >> used it.
> >> in contrast OSS sucks and has a bad API.
> >> furtheron:
> >> 1. it doesn't support hardware-midi
> http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?cat=2
> quoting hannu, the masterbrain of oss:
> "This is the good news. The bad news is that there is no MIDI support in
> OSS 4.0. There are few bugs in the MIDI code and we decided to ship OSS
> 4.0 without it (instead of delaying release of the other parts that were
> ready). MIDI support will be included in OSS 4.1 (hopefully within this
> year)."

Put the quote out of the context and you get completely different meaning.

The whole post talks about the history of midi playing and how the
sequencer have been born and developed over the years. At the end of
the post he talks that the whole event thing is actually superfluous
and MIDI commands should be used directly (with some timing info). So
far so good, but the NEW MIDI support is not ready for all the cards
he supports.

For somebody like me, who knows nothing about midi, the idea seems so
obvious that I wonder why ALSA reimplemented their MIDI support using
similar to OSS sequencer (again from the post).