[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Fri May 4 22:31:10 CEST 2007

Am Fri, 4 May 2007 18:01:54 +0200
schrieb Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:

> > Excuse me, I am a bit confused there. Are you implying that you are unable
> > to tell whether a noise comes from behind or from the front? I am a bit
>
> Rich, are you going to answer the question or just dismiss it as
> outright stupidity?

I hope we agree on the surround-with-two-ears being a fact of nature and
the count-your-ears being a funny joke.
I take Rich's statement as a little attack along the question if the
sourround sound really buys you anything.
For me, there's no trade of the '73 Marantz receiver with 2 Canton
tower speakers for a surround sound set. My music is stereo only. And
for DVD movies the experience is surrounding enough when the walls are
shaking;-)
But I realize that there are many people out there who want the "full"
home cinema experience, including 5.1 system with digital interface...

But just for completeness, and being a bit of a smartass:
You can hear surround sound with two ears because sound waves are
entering the complex shaped ear caves (and the funny tissue attached to
the head) from different directions and trigger different resonances.
You can tell behind from front, below from above.

Thomas.