[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Sven Gothel sgothel at jausoft.com
Fri May 4 16:51:19 CEST 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 at 06:20, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Honestly, it makes life easier when you suddenly discover that you
> can just stick a few simple tools/libraries together to creat the
> functionality you want instead of useing a huge, monolitic, brittle
> block, that can only do the work it was designed for and cannot be
> combined with anything else to extend this functionality.
> _THAT_ is what the Rich and I (and a lot of other people) think is
> against the unix way of things, where KISS is not just a phrase
> but a life style.

Well, that would be nice, indeed.

So, why not using FUSE, and implement a char device,
which is capable of receiving a/v streams, like e.g. the DVB devices ?

/dev/av/stream
/dev/av/es/pcm
/dev/av/es/mp123
/dev/av/es/whatever

Than, have a few ioctl's to stop/pause/reset, whatever your needs are.

I did this a long time ago under QNX,
where the device driver analyse the stream (TS/PS/ES),
demuxes it and pushes the net data to the output device,
via [oss/]alsa/mpegdecoder/../whatever.

Under QNX it was easy, since it is a mach architecture,
where you can use the user space.

Under GNU/Linux, well, we have FUSE.

Shouldn't that satisfy you ?

You can even bring this up to the V4L2 architecture ..

But without some help from the userspace, I see no land to implement
this for GNU/Linux. Since it needs decoders, etc.

Cheers, Sven
--
health & wealth
mailto:sgothel at jausoft.com ; www  : http://www.jausoft.ca ; pgp: http://www.jausoft.com/gpg/