[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Fri May 4 15:27:47 CEST 2007

Hi Attila Kinali!

 On 2007.05.04 at 14:49:04 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote next:

> > I was talking about the usual system where /dev/dsp device ownership is
> > changed to the first user who logged it. If someone at your home logged
> > in in console, you won't be able to get audio device ownership after
> > logging in X.
>
> On what fucking brocken system are you working?

Fedora Core 6

> My /dev/dsp belongst to root.audio, and it stays at
> root.audio no matter who logs in.

It has been like that at least since RH6, haven't used audio before that..

I remember such organization on debian, well I never liked it.

> > Well, other hacks around this problem exist, like "audio"
> > group and such, but they all are just a hacks made in order to stop unix
> > rights system interfering with desire to play music.
>
> Uhmm.. this is not a hack, but designed like this.
> Have you ever tried to understand the unix rights management?

Yes ;)
I didn't mean that related to unix rights. I meant that unix rights
aren't exactly suited for ownership of audio devices.

As about broken systems.. well.. may I ask about ownership and rights
of cd/dvd device on your current system? And about ownership/rights of
usb cd/dvd devices that you plug in?

--

Vladimir