[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri May 4 15:37:09 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 14:49 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2007 03:45:20 +0400
> Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:
> > Well, other hacks around this problem exist, like "audio"
> > group and such, but they all are just a hacks made in order to stop unix
> > rights system interfering with desire to play music.
>
> Uhmm.. this is not a hack, but designed like this.
> Have you ever tried to understand the unix rights management?

Your discussion is already completely off topic.
Anyway the issue is that the normal Unix access system does not work
well with things like audio or removable drives; the most common case is
that you want the person logged in at the console _now_ to have access
to them. You don't want someone to be able to overwrite the USB stick
you insert now because he was able to log in a week ago.

These problems with the standard Unix access controls are well known and
have been discussed on several forums. I think saying things like "Have
you ever tried to understand the unix rights management?" is
inappropriate when you clearly aren't too familiar with the topic
yourself.