[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Thu May 3 20:42:18 CEST 2007

Le quartidi 14 floréal, an CCXV, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
<snip>

See my other mail about your other points.

> ALSA is like forcing all image/video access in linux through libsdl and to be
> honest the mere thought scares me

Somewhere, all image/video access in Linux goes through a common piece of
code: that is called the system. The system need to be good: the API must be
agreeable enough for developers, but there must be enough room for the user
to configure and override things.

For example, as a X11 user, I would hate that an application I want to use
would be SVGAlib only. That thought scares me much more than the thought
that everything should go through SDL.

I fear this thread is in way degenerating into the microkernel vs.
monolithic kernel troll. It may be wiser to stop...

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George