[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: libdvdnav

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Thu Mar 15 01:20:12 CET 2007

Erik Lunchpail wrote:

> The sheer fact that libdvdread, libdvdcss and subsequently libdvdnav
> require modifications in order to work (as intended) with mplayer lead
> me to believe there's something inherently wrong in mplayer's design
> (nothing new).

mplayer can as well use the official dvdread, dvdnav and dvdcss
without problems

> Licensing or cross-platform compatibility aside, 1 ported internal
> library is 1 too many IMO when there are many many other programs
> around that are able to use the native code. I do appreciate both
> aforementioned facts, but I for one, am not for including yet another
> forked library; on the contrary, i'm all for removing the forked
> versions we have.
>
> IIRC Otvos had submitted a version which included a modified libdvdnav,
> and was thus told to make it work with external libdvdnav, and as the
> circle revolves, there's talk of forking libdvdnav, which one is it?

my intention is to _fix_ the terrible mess that is dvdnav, not to
twist it to make it work specifically with mplayer.
At most I'd like to make it work with the external dvdread, rather
than letting it compile and use its own copy.
As I wrote previously, I tried to convince JCD to accept my patches
(as others did, especially elupus) but the devel channels seems to be
simply dead.

> We're going on a year roughly by which someone is making a concerted
> effort to add dvdnav functionality to mplayer, and i'm a bit
> discouraged to say the least, that the same song and dance keeps
> playing, and his hard work gets dismissed or ignored.

his hard work keeps on being ignored because he doesn't want/get to
understand how to properly patch mplayer.
I reviewed his patches (always with much pain), and whenever
appropriate I committed them

> Every single one of you developers is a genius to me in their own rite,
> and should any of you decide that the proper action is to fork and
> include any library, i'll stand behind you, just note the fact that i'm
> seeing a disconcerting trend happening on such.

the disconcert can vanishly immediately reading dvd-devel at sf.net.
Posting more patches just to see them go to /dev/null is not an option
for me.

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users