[MPlayer-dev-eng] check recommended MPEG2 encoding options

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 6 00:43:25 CET 2007

Hello,
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html
gives this for high quality encode:
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=8000:\
keyint=15:trell:mbd=2:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:dia=-10:predia=-10:cbp:mv0:\
vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vstrict=0

Can someone double-check this a bit? First of all, the whole patch seems
to miss a reference to the absolutely critical two-pass.
I have some doubts that it is a good idea to set vqmin/lmin that low,
the man page says it is a bad idea. man page also suggests (by my
reading) that negative values for dia are fast but not exactly good.
And don't B-frames also exist for MPEG-2 and are allowed for DVD?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger

P.S. hope you don't mind I sent this to -dev-eng, I wasn't sure if this
belongs here or to -DOCS or...