[MPlayer-dev-eng] x86_64 and windows codecs

Wed Jun 27 16:37:29 CEST 2007

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2007.06.27 at 14:49:14 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> I believe it when I see a link. It is rather hard to believe they would
> release codecs, given that there is not 64 bit "Windows Media Player"
> that could use it.

Well according to this
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/VistaCodecs-x64Components.shtml
there is.

Of course, even windows has problems with 64-bit codecs (due to absence
of indeo and other important ones), but there is a growing list of 3rd
party 64-bit codecs. I unpacked this "vista codecs pack" (you don't need
vista for that at all ;)) and following codecs are there

audioswitcher.ax    ff_samplerate.dll    MpaDecFilter.ax
audxlib.dll         ff_theora.dll        MpaSplitter.ax
avi2ac3filter.ax    ff_tremor.dll        MpegSplitter.ax
AviSplitter.ax      ffvdub.vdf           NutSplitter.ax
custom matrices     ff_wmv9.dll          OggSplitter.ax
DSMSplitter.ax      ff_x264.dll          shoutcastsource.ax
dtsac3source.ax     flicsource.ax        SSFSplitter.ax
ffdshow.ax          languages            streamdrivethru.ax
ff_kernelDeint.dll  libavcodec.dll       TomsMoComp_ff.dll
ff_liba52.dll       libmpeg2_ff.dll      udpreader.ax
ff_libdts.dll       libmplayer.dll       VSFilter.dll
ff_libfaad2.dll     MatroskaMuxer.ax     vtsreader.ax
ff_libmad.dll       MatroskaSplitter.ax  wavdest.ax
ff_realaac.dll      MP4Splitter.ax

nice list, isn't it? ;)

> Actually, given that for all I know there is no 64 bit DirectX there
> actually would be no way at all to use them...

I can assure you that there is, I have access to windows 2003 64-bit
(should be pretty the same as xp 64-bit) and both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of directx dlls are present.

Anyway, one of my friends who is windows guru says that he tried to make
vista 64-bit codecs work outside of vista and failed (the ones from the
list above would work, of course). 64-bit WMV/WMA/etc codecs from MS are
so heavily DRMed so it's basically impossible to use them outside 64-bit
vista environment. Maybe it would be possible with custom dmo loader
which mplayer uses, but I wouldn't count on it.

--

Vladimir