[MPlayer-dev-eng] x86_64 and windows codecs

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Wed Jun 27 14:31:58 CEST 2007

Le nonidi 9 messidor, an CCXV, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> If you use latest SVN that's not a known issue, no.

I tried with yesterday SVN, and there was no change concerning wmv3. I will
report it on ffmpeg-devel.

> > - Using 64 bits windows DLLs. I have read that microsoft had finally
> >   released them, and I wonder if someone is working on it.
> I believe it when I see a link.

One of my friends pretends to have it installed on its windows box, and he
can be trusted on technical matters. I have asked for details and links.

> Sure, very interesting. As well as the possibility to let it run in a
> seccomp.

I did not think of that. On the other hand, I thought of running it on
non-x86 architecture with qemu; not sure that the speed would be there
though.

>	   Not sure how you would do it in order not to duplicate a lot of
> effort and code.

AFAIK, the major part of a video decoder job is to take encoded data from a
buffer, and put decoded data into another buffer. My plan would be:

1. Build the parts of libmpcodecs that can not be built in 64 bits in 32
   bits into a libmpcodecs32. This is only makefile hacking.

2. Build a binary around this libmpcodecs32. That requires some protocol
   implementation (especially if I want to handle control messages), and
   importing or reimplementing some utility functions (mpcodecs_get_image).

3. Create a new decoder that fork+execs the binary and uses it for the
   decoding.

This will take some work, but I think it can be done.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George