[MPlayer-dev-eng] x86_64 and windows codecs

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 27 14:49:14 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:55:23PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> - Having free decoders. Well, of course, this is the best solution, and the
>   situation have greatly improved since last year. I thank the people
>   responsible very much. Unfortunately, the result is not yet perfect. For
>   example, the TV show that I download daily is decoded quite poorly (the
>   image is very rose; I can provide samples if this not a known issue).

If you use latest SVN that's not a known issue, no.

> - Using 64 bits windows DLLs. I have read that microsoft had finally
>   released them, and I wonder if someone is working on it.

I believe it when I see a link. It is rather hard to believe they would
release codecs, given that there is not 64 bit "Windows Media Player"
that could use it.
Actually, given that for all I know there is no 64 bit DirectX there
actually would be no way at all to use them...

> - Using a separate 32 bits process just for the decoding, with pipes (or
>   shared memory).
>
> This last solution seems to me especially interesting, because I think it is
> in the range of my abilities. Do you think I should start hacking on it?

Sure, very interesting. As well as the possibility to let it run in a
seccomp. Not sure how you would do it in order not to duplicate a lot of
effort and code. Or maybe you could just convince the kernel developers
to allow userspace programs to switch between 32 and 64 bit modes via
syscall?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger