[MPlayer-dev-eng] Howto integrate H.264 hardware decoder?

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:32:27 CEST 2007

On 7/26/07, Markus Korber <korbse at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the best way to integrate support for a H.264 hardware decoder
> chip into V4L2?  What would I have to do?

Take a look at linux/include/linux/dvb/video.h

> Basically I would like to use mplayer to play a H.264 encoded video
> file, let it decode the transport stream and hand over the H.264 NAL
> units to the HW decoder chip.  The stream is decoded, returned to
> mplayer, and displayed on a framebuffer, whereby the interface between
> mplayer and the decoder chip uses shared memory.
>
> So what would be the best way to implement this interface and what
> should it look like?

You are looking ahead to decode a MPEG2 TS for a DVB delivery ?
Recently the decoder API was upgraded for newer decoders. The oldest
decoder in there is the AV7110, which is found on the
Technotrend/Siemens cards

> Do I have to do something similar to what ivtv does for hardware MPEG2
> decoding (drivers/media/video/ivtv/* in Linux and libvo/vo_ivtv.c and
> stream/stream_pvr.c in mplayer)?
>
> (I guess there won't be a generic solution without patching the video
>  application?)

Currently for a long time, some applications support the MPEG decoder
on the FF cards, such as MythTV and VDR.