[MPlayer-dev-eng] Howto integrate H.264 hardware decoder?

Markus Korber korbse at gmx.at
Thu Jul 26 14:29:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

what's the best way to integrate support for a H.264 hardware decoder
chip into V4L2?  What would I have to do?

Basically I would like to use mplayer to play a H.264 encoded video
file, let it decode the transport stream and hand over the H.264 NAL
units to the HW decoder chip.  The stream is decoded, returned to
mplayer, and displayed on a framebuffer, whereby the interface between
mplayer and the decoder chip uses shared memory.

So what would be the best way to implement this interface and what
should it look like?

Do I have to do something similar to what ivtv does for hardware MPEG2
decoding (drivers/media/video/ivtv/* in Linux and libvo/vo_ivtv.c and
stream/stream_pvr.c in mplayer)?

(I guess there won't be a generic solution without patching the video
 application?)

Best regards,
Markus Korber