[MPlayer-dev-eng] Status of CoreAVC (last time) and using win32 codecs on x86_64

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jul 24 09:07:59 CEST 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:16:37 -0700
Alan Nisota <alannisota at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I continue to get a lot of mail about using CoreAVC with mplayer,
> so I thought I'd post a status update.
> I have failed to get any but the most trivial patches included in the
> mplayer code, and all the work I did splitting the patches up into
> little pieces just makes installation harder for users who will have to
> manually patch anyway.

Hmm.. Last attempt from you was in February. Though i
have not read the thread, was there any reason given why
your patches didn't make it in?

> Mplayer does not seem to have the capability to deal with the fact that

BTW: It's MPlayer with a capital P

> CoreAVC does the deinterlacing internally, and so I have been unable to
> make mplayer work with interlaced AVC streams, but MythTV and Xine can
> both handle it.  I have no plans to try to fix mplayer for this.

This sounds strange. MPlayer does not care whether a stream
is interlaced or not unless you insert a vf deinterlacing filter.

> I have also found a (crude) solution to using 32bit Windows codecs on
> x86_64 systems.  I have created a 'dshowserver' app which can be built
> statically and use shared-memory to pass relevant info back-and-forth to
> the player (which can thus be compiled for the native platform).  I
> haven't yet created the patch to use it with mplayer (though it should
> be ready soon), but it works fine with MythTV.  It also isn't limited to
> CoreAVC; and win32 video codec should work with it.  I did not implement
> dmo or Audio codec support though it wouldn't be hard.

This sounds interesting. Can you make a patch to use it with
MPlayer so that we can include this?

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred